We are meeting Minister Heather Humphreys twice tomorrow by conference call. Call 1 is related to macroeconomic matters and support and recovery measures. Call 2 is related to more pressing Retail Industry requirements.
To my earlier question posed to the Department of Business asking could NON-ESSENTIAL retailers continue to operate online. The Department has reverted to confirm:
Retailers can continue to fulfil online orders, but this can only be done on the basis of the following:
- The administration/processing activities associated with online orders and fulfilment must be done home-based (i.e. remote working and not office based);
- The employer must have only a minimum level of staff on site (e.g. in warehouse) for fulfilment; and
- The requirements in relation to physical distancing must be rigorously adhered to in the carrying out of the fulfilment activities.
I want to also draw your attention to the guidance (attached) in respect of the following:
If you are providing an essential service, such as delivery, as per the guidance attached, please take note of the following:
Employers should take the following steps:
– refer to this guidance to decide whether your organisation is providing an essential service; it is not necessary to seek official authorisation
– if you are providing an essential service, you should identify those employees (including sub-contractors etc) who are essential to the provision of that service and notify them (this can be done by category of employee or by individual; it could include all employees of the organisation)
– if you are providing an essential service, latest public health guidance should be followed at all times
Employees should take the following steps:
– If your employer notifies you that you are an essential employee, or that you belong to a category of essential employees, you are permitted to travel to and from work
– When travelling to and from work, you should at all times bring with you either a work identification or a letter from your employer indicating that you are an essential employee, as well as one other form of identification
Please continue to monitor https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/ for the latest updates from Government.
We will send an update to Members having consulted with the Minister and her team in the morning.
The REI Team
Group Chief Executive